So, before Khalil and I met, I loved to bake. Pound cake, cheesecake, cookies… you name it, I would make it. As I became more mindful of the foods I consumed, my desire to bake lessened and I began to desire savory meals with more fruits, veggies, and protein.
We’ve been craving something sweet for a while, so we decided to do a little baking experiment. We created these “Bittersweet Blondies” (a name we came up with 😆) and man… were they a hit!
Light and bittersweet, the bitterness of the cacao balances so well with the rich peanut butter flavor. Cacao contains iron and other antioxidants whereas the use of peanut butter and peanut flour packs in some added protein and healthy (unsaturated) fats.
We served these on top of a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt, but you could enjoy it with ice cream or a non-dairy alternative.
- 9 tbsp Vegan Butter We used Earth Balance Whipped Buttery Spread
- 9 tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter We used Jif Natural with Honey
- 1/2 cup Cane Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 2 tbsp Peanut Protein Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 oz Unsweetened Chocolate (100% Cacao)
- Preheat oven 350F. Set out ingredients.
- Soften butter and place in mixing bowl. Add peanut butter and use a hand mixer to beat (on medium) until smooth. Note: We used a wooden spoon to mix. (We don't have a hand mixer)
- Add the sugar to the mixture and beat on medium speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula as needed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the coconut flour, peanut butter flour, and baking powder and beat on low speed until all ingredients are well mixed.
Break chocolate cacao into small pieces. Note: We wrapped the bar in parchment paper and broke it down using a meat mallet. If you have cacao chips, you are ahead of the game 😉
- Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper. Pour mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Note: You will know the Bittersweet Blondie is done when you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place parchment paper and blondie on a cooling rack before serving.
We hope you guys enjoy this recipe. Let us know what you think! #theiolife
Khalil & AJ